The Knock of the Devil

Sweaterbelly, Sweaterbelly
Walked to a golden tomb
The prize of a child of good and bad
Lay powerful in her womb.

And angel’s lust, an urgent must
Seduced by hell’s beauty,
Consummated heaven and hell
In the house by an autumn tree.

The devil who knocked upon her door
Gestured toward the moon,
Bright eyed and pure the Angel laughed
And was led to the devils room.

Within the room there was a bed
Where he lay heaven’s bride down.
Her family above watched her sin
With tears and rejecting frowns.

He dined upon her body that night
Until nothing was there
But skin so thin the wind went right through
And feathers for her hair.

She bore a child, that was me
My name is Daniel Doom,
I was born with a crooked halo’s head
At the pull of the merciful moon.

They called my mother Sweaterbelly
Because she was mocked by all
A sweater covering her pregnant state
Despite her being tall.

My skin has scales like father had
My wings with splattered down
Born at twenty years old I was
With no one but mother around.

My right hand is golden with devils nails
But I’ll tell you what worried me most,
My left hand was cursed as my father’s paw
And summoned hell’s horrible ghosts.

One day I saw my mother rise
And with not a tear she shed
Looked at the place where I was conceived:
The Devil’s elegant bed.

Every day she would look up
Upon heaven’s gates
And now she that fell in love with the devil
Her redemption was too late.

So Sweaterbelly took off her shirt
And naked walked to the gold tomb
The place she had made when she conceived me
Where she called me Daniel Doom.

I watched between my hands as she
Fell into the hole
As nothing but dust and feather and bones
No place for her solemn soul.

 Don’t get me wrong, my reader dear
Beauty did not evade me,
I’ve pure white skin and auburn eyes
And hair the color of the sea.

My scales fell off one stormy night
When the wind and rain went through,
Heaven, blowing some angels down
Soaked, through and through.

I’ve grown into pure devil, yes,
My left hand fully grown.
I lift my fingers to my army
With whom deceptive wings are sewn.

The knock of the devil is not inviting
It’s slow, a perfect sound,
Knocking on doors of heaven’s lost
With no friend of theirs around.

I saw the wind take an angel down
And she ran into a house,
Skittish and lost she hid alone
As scared as a baby mouse.

I knocked upon her door that night
Just as my father had done,
Hoping to plant my seed within her
To have a beautiful son.

Some moments passed I heard her move
I waited impatiently,
She answered, shy and so loving, yes
As angels were meant to be..

I fell and cried and lied to her
And told her I wanted God,
All the while between my hands
Lusted after that heavenly bod.

“I want to go back!” I faked my cry
and she cried and held me close.
My son, my heir, Yes, I could see
Her body my heavenly host.

I tore her body quite to shreds
She wailed in ecstasy,
The night was still, there was no sound
It was only her and me.

She looked at me with love that night
And just iike Sweaterbelly,
Her stomach was round with my child heir
Who was born beneath dead trees.

But what was this? I asked in shock
As my child entered the world,
My god, I wept as I looked upon her
My child was only a girl.

Her halo was sharper than mine ever was
Her skin not white but gold,
I could tell by the look in her deformed eyes
She would only do what heaven told.

The way she wept was heartbreaking
She wasn’t beautiful.
Her heart was more angelic, you see
And so very, very, hopeful.

Her hair was white as if she’d aged
Within her mother’s womb
The moon came out in that black night
As my wife was making her tomb.

My father looked upon my frown
And at the child I made
He calculated evil and good
And this is what he said:

“Things are not as bad my son,
as they would currently seem.
She’s not as aged as she looks
The girl is only thirteen.”

And she enough as years went by
My daughter was thoroughly told
That her soul had been left to me
And by heaven she had been sold.

Her face did change into a sight
So relieved I was to see
A beautiful angel with devil’s eyes
In love with the Beast at the Tree.

It sat in hell with roots as deep
As the oceans bottom floor
He cast a spell on my daughter one night
And she walked through his cumbersome door.

Her body had never grown past
Of one that was more of thirteen
Her lavender eyes were beautiful, yes
As hell had ever seen.

Her hair was still white and held the light
Of a tired but hopeful heaven
Her mind was still of a child’s you see
And regressed to one who was just seven.

Her body had grown into a strange perfection
Slender and golden with bright blue wings
She was uninformed, my reader dear
That her heart was of good things.

Heaven yearned for their lost child
But she didn’t know it existed
The beast was fixated upon her
And to me it had insisted.

He dined on her body one gory night
And all of hell’s lights went black
For when the beast dines on an angel’s body
All decency he would lack.

No child would come of this night,
Only pleasure at his conquest
He told me to give my daughter a name
And I fulfilled his curious request.

Sweaterbelly had died all the same
I barely remembered my mother
But my wife, when she died I genuinely grieved
And I had never sought another.

He wanted a name because, he said
He wanted to rule all of hell
But when she heard this she turned to me, said,
“But father, I don’t feel very well.”

We put a crown upon her head
And trimmed her bright blue wings
And celebrated in terribly glee
The pleasure of the Great Thing.

The beast sat fat and pulsed in pleasure
As she slumped upon her throne
Unaware of the heaven above her head
She accepted hell as her home.

Oh reader if you only knew
Of a father’s pride to tell,
But over and over she said to me,
“Father, I don’t feel very well.”

I wrote in stones my fairy tale
To tell my triumph to you, my reader
But every day my daughter would sigh, say,
“But I don’t want to be your leader.”

Sweaterbelly’s name was given
Because we mocked her nature
Despite her origins of heaven, you see,
She had a curious human’s stature.

And so mundane we thought she was
And then found a funny sweater
And fooled her in her sorry state
That the clothing had made her look better.









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wallie and the Mirror

Flabbergasted

Winter's Gnome